Sunday, January 1, 2012

We Made It!!!! Welcome to 2012

So, the nay sayers said we wouldn't make it. Some extreme Christian Wag was running around telling his flock
(a bunch of pendejos) that the world was going to end on a certain date. The date came and went as did the others he predicted. Nada! Would you believe he announced another date coming soon??? Knock, knock, Hello, We're still here.

Hope you all had good holidays, whatever Holidays you observe during December and January. Yes! celebrate! You might not be around the next time. Do it now!

My holidays? Very quiet. Saw 1/2 half of my familia, because we get together, open presents, eat, drink and have a great time. Sadly, because of religious beliefs, 1/2 of my familia doesn't. I miss them tremendously during the holidays, and it really breaks my heart. We all miss out. Pobres! Pobre yo, tambien! But, we get do together after the New Year and do a show and lunch date. Always enjoy that.

This time we're seeing the new Sherlock Holmes Flick. Looking forward to it. I remember when the kids were smaller, I had to watch them like a hawk, for fear of coming home with one less, or someone else's kid! ! My sons always told me to come back with the same three or four I left with. Try five!! Not easy!

Now they're all grown adults, so I just enjoy their "grownup" company. (they're still kids, even though they think they're adults!!) So we'll be roaming around at the Irvine Spectrum, walking, eating, seeing a movie, and enjoying this awesome weather the Good Lord bestowed on us.

Other stuff:

Well, Sadly, I think I've been put to pasture at the Cafe Sevilla in Long Beach as of a couple of weeks ago! I knew that time would come sometime soon. I mean, really, a guy doing Flamenco Publicly at 72 and getting away with it? Unheard of! But I'm proud to say I did it!!! I haven't given up dancing. Believe me!!!

The booking manager called and said the managers at Sevilla Long Beach decided to rotate their performers. I countered with "but they do that all the times with the girls". In actuality, there's not that many Men that dance Flamenco strong enough to rotate. Timo Nunez, Ricardo Chavez, Emilio Dominguez, Artoro Nazzari, and I, locally. So, I wish them luck. I feel the premise of the Sevilla shows is old and stale. That has nothing to do with the performers. The premise was good years ago, but lots of groups have taken further steps and perform duets, trio and group numbers. Audiences like that very much. Sadly, They don't do that at either of the Sevillas. Long Beach or San Diego. They may have very strong performers, but it's still the same old premise. That's what has to change, if the "knowledgeable "Sevilla managers want more customers! Advertising their Flamenco Dinner shows a tad more on their internet and Newspaper ads would help too. People now have their "flamenco favorites". They know and follow the good performers. At either Sevilla you don't know who's dancing or who's singing or playing until you get there. I don't think that's good policy, when you're dishing out big bucks to see a show. They do advertise all their other attractions a lot more than the Flamenco Dinner shows. ? Audiences are very educated now when it comes to Flamenco. They know the good from the bad, the stale from the boring.
I'm really fooling around with the idea of talking to the managers and saying Hey, let me produce shows that bring back the people. I could. Been doing it since I was 19. I should know by now how to work an audience! You think?


THE LATEST DISH:

My present students and I are preparing like crazy for our first Student and Professional show on Sunday, August 26th, 2012. TELL YOUR FRIENDS!! BE THERE!! I have four numbers done, and they're working very hard to do them the way I want. It's going to be a big backyard Gypsy Style Flamenco Juerga, with a student performance, and a Knockout professional performance by my group, FLAMENCO BRAVO! .
We'll be having a tent, tables, chairs, a raised stage, shows, food and drink! Artists performing include
MIZUHO SATO, RINA ORELLANA, RYAN ZERME~NO, EMILIO DOMINGUEZ, MYSELF, with guitarists
JOSE TANAKA, SANTIAGO PRECHTEL, and singers JESUS MONTOYA, and ANA QUINTERO. These artists are awesome!!!

We're going to have two shows, sell Paella, Salads, Panes, Tapas, Sangria, Coffes and Waters. This will all take place in my own back yard. It's huge! I had an event planner come out and see what we could possibly do. Well it's going to be very cool!
I'm excited. I feel like one of the little Rascals doing their backyard shows. (No, Not Spanky! LOL!)
Again, the date is August 26, 2012. Sunday. 2:00PM to 6:30PM. Tickets will be on sale beginning in April. Tell your Friends, and relations. Keep checking my blog, or on facebook. Friend me on facebook to get happening information about this dynamite Flamenco Juerga. (A Juerga is a Gypsy Flamenco Party!)
Seating and ticket sales will be very limited. I can only seat about 170 People, with about 25 standing room!

So that said, my classes continue. Look at my class schedule page for new days and times. Learn to dance Flamenco!, You never know where it will lead you. Believe me.

Have a great New Year.

Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment